Saturday, March 29, 2008

A number's value is not static

My hubby and I celebrated our 5-year anniversary this month. Now, when I think on that, it seems a short duration on the surface. Only 5? Child's play. Just wait till you hit 20, 25, 30 years...

But when I reflect on where we were at that point in time, it feels light years from where we are today. I mean, I recognize those people, but it's a different life altogether. They are mostly environmental differences, but I think where you are shapes way more than is easily observed.

Five years ago...

We still rented, and were living at the duplex on 39th & Brooklyn.
John still had the Subaru.
While still at the bank, I was in a different position, in a different department, with a different boss.
John was still doing massage at Montgomery Park while also teaching.
I did not yet have my driver's license, and was still a slave to the bus schedule.
We didn't have cable, were still on dial-up, and had a dinosaur of a PC on Windows 98.
We celebrated special occasions with a nice dinner out.

Now...

We own a home, and all of the joys and expenses that go along with it.
I have a VW, and John, until a week ago, had a little Nissan (a story for another time).
I am figuring out yet another role at work...after having applied for and being re-orged into like three others at a rapid pace.
The salon at the Park has changed hands, and John has worked at one other location, also now closed; the teaching continues.
The Subaru's demise (another story altogether) prompted me to get my license, and the aforementioned VW.
I finally caved to the cable guy, the DSL offer, and the PC had to be put out of its misery. I have found new misery while wrestling with Vista.
We spend the night in for birthdays, anniversaries, whatever. We go out when we've had a bad day.

Also in the past five we've made some fabulous new friends, reconnected with some old ones, and John has decided to go back to school. I can already see the next five years reshaping our lives as we know them.

We are enjoying the ride.

No comments: